Southern Plantation "Internet"

Sunday, May 20, 2012

"IN MEMORY OF "UNCLE TOOT"....

" IN MEMORY OF "UNCLE TOOT".....


         "Since I met you...I am not afraid."


Look, God, I have never spoken to You, but now I want to say how do you do,  You see see, God, they told me You didn't exist,
And like a fool, I believed all this.
Last night from a shell hole, I saw Your sky and I figured right then they had told me a lie.  Had  I taken time to see things you made, I'd have known they weren't calling a spade a spade.
I wonder, God, if You'd shake my hand, because somehow I feel that You will understand.  Funny I had to come to this hellish place, before I had time to see Your face.
Well, I guess there isn't much more to say, but I'm sure glad, God, I met You today.  I guess the "zero hour" will soon be here, but I'm not afraid since I know You're near.
The signal!  Well, God, I have to go.  I like You lots, this I want You to know.  Look now, this will be a horrible fight, who knows, I may come to Your house tonight.
Though I wasn't friendly to You before, I wonder, God, if You'd wait at Your door.  Look, I'm
 crying.  Me! Shedding tears!
I wish I had known You these many years.
Well, I have to go now, God, good-bye!  Strange since I met You, I'm not afraid to die.   (author unknown)




Born in 1927, the son of Agnes Freeman Garner and Millard Lee Garner, "Uncle Toot", as I lovingly refer to him, imbedded many wonderful memories into my life...He was a loving and giving person and when I was born, he took care of me, because my mother, Mildred Garner Richburg, had to return to the hospital for additional care...He used to smile and tell me that he would rock me in the old rocking chair until he thought I was asleep and when he stopped rocking, I would wake up and cry...I "musta been bad"...He and his family were stationed all around the world and when he was station in England, he was invited to a party that Winston Churchill attended.  When Mr. Churchill found out that "Uncle Toot" loved to smoke cigars, he gave him one of his...."Toot" did not talk much about his experiences in  serving  Our U.S.A., but our family is so proud of him....and I expressed to him how much I appreciated him and that he was one of the reasons that I can enjoy freedom.


"Toot's Homemade wine"
5 gallons of fruit, 5 gallons water and 25 pounds of sugar....
Let set 30 days in large container (not metal).  Insert 2 hoses down in a jar and run the other end of the hose down in the container of water.
(Left) Raymond Winston Garner(Uncle Toot) 1927-1999
If still bubbling after 30 days, add 25 extra pounds of sugar and let set 30 more days.  Do not take up and strain on a cloudy day.





No comments:

Post a Comment