Southern Plantation "Internet"

Saturday, January 14, 2012

"Remembering Grandma's chickens"

"REMEMBERING GRANDMA'S CHICKENS.."


My grandmother, Agnes Freeman Garner,
 lived on the Saverance Farm, Kershaw Street, Timmonsville, S. C . and she had a big chicken yard.    When I was a little girl, she would take me by the hand and we would com'mence to go a look'in for chick'ins....Thot she had a new dance a go'in as she would jump around catch'in them rascals. 
When she caught one, she would wring their necks and they would flop all over the place and die.....Oh! I had pity in my heart for them.
She would pluck and singe their feathers, clean and cook them.
It was the best fried chick'in in the world....probably fried in good ol'
hog lard.
Sad day for the chick'ins, but great memories for me.
IN HONOR OF GRANDMA'S CHICKENS, I ENTERED A CAKE CONTEST WITH MY "CHICK'IN CAKE."

No comments:

Post a Comment